- Even if you are sending us a fully written article, please write us a pitch.
- Your pitch should be no more than 200-250 words and set out clearly what you want the article to be about and include relevant links for reference.
- Find the correct editor to email on our Contact page. If you’re unsure send it to the editor you think will be most relevant who will then forward it on.
- The subject line should be “Pitch – ” and then your proposed headline. For instance: “Pitch – The difficulty of being a woman of colour in the media”.
- Try and make sure your pitch is original and not on a topic we have already covered on the site.
- Once we have received your pitch we will aim to look over it and reply as soon as we can. If you haven’t received a response in a couple of weeks do follow up with us.
- If we accept your pitch we’ll give you a submission deadline, some advice and ideas on how we’d like to see the piece and a word count.
- Please only pitch to us if you are a self-identifying woman of colour or non-binary person of colour.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a contributor for gal-dem?
By sending us pitches! Most editors have a mailing list which they use to send out the bulk of our opportunities for interviews and ideas for pieces but most of the articles we publish come from contributors working with editors on their ideas.
Who does gal-dem take submissions from?
gal-dem takes submissions from any self-identifying women of colour or non-binary people of colour.
Who runs gal-dem?
gal-dem is run by a team of voluntary editors. We all work on gal-dem in our spare time alongside other employment or studying – meet us on our Team page.
How quickly will we look at your piece?
Because we all work alongside our voluntary roles at gal-dem, we may take a few weeks to look at your piece. If the piece is time sensitive please make this clear in the subject line of your email.
How is gal-dem structured?
We have an editor-in-chief, five section editors, four assistant editors, social media editors, a chief sub-editor, an art director and an amazing team of dedicated, regular contributors.
Does gal-dem republish content?
No, apart from under exceptional circumstances we will not republish blog posts and content that has appeared online or in print for other media outlets.
Will my piece definitely get published?
Although we aim to work with all writers, sometimes we do reject pitches, and “spike” pieces after they have been commissioned and written.
Can I submit my artwork?
If you want to contribute artistically or illustrate send over examples of work to our art director, email@example.com.
How often do you produce a printed issue?
Annually. Send pitches to our 2017 issue on the theme of Home to firstname.lastname@example.org
Why hasn’t my comment been approved?
We don’t have a team member constantly monitoring the site and as such we have to manually approve all comments. Sometimes this takes a number of days and some comments will not be approved if they don’t meet editorial standards due to racism, harassment or abuse.
Does gal-dem offer work experience or internships?
At present we do not have an office space and due to our employment commitments we cannot offer work experience or internships, even virtually.